My Photo
Name:
Location: Fredneck, Merlin, United States

Thursday, April 20, 2006

pay tribute


I've never been as excited for a tribute album as this one, Monsieur Gainsbourg Revisited. (As a matter of fact, I hate tribute albums as a rule, but yes, I still buy them.) Anyhow, Serge Gainsbourg is the French lounge noir guy. He wrote "Bonnie & Cylde" and sung it with Brigtte Bardot. He isn't putting out anything new 'cause he died 15 years ago, but his legacy lives on in the likes of some of the artists below.

1. Franz Ferdinand & Jane Birkin – A Song For Sorry Angel (Sorry Angel)
2. Cat Power & Karen Elson – I Love You (Me Either) (Je t’aime moi non plus)
3. Jarvis Cocker (of Pulp) & Kid Loco – I Just Came To Tell You That I’m Going (Je suis venu te dire que je m’en vais)
4. Portishead – Requiem For Anna (Un jour comme un autre – Anna)
5. Faultline, Brian Molko & Francoise Hardy – Requiem For A Jerk (Requiem pour un con)
6. Michael Stipe (of REM) – L’Hotel (L’hotel particulier)
7. Tricky – Au Revoir Emmanuelle (Goodbye Emmanuelle)
8. Marianne Faithfull & Sly and Robbie – Lola R. For Ever (Lola Rastaquouere)
9. Gonzales, Feist & Dani – Boomerang 2005 (Comme un boomerang)
10. Marc Almond (of Soft Cell) & Trash Palace – Boy Toy (I’m the Boy)
11. Placebo – The Ballad Of Melody Nelson (Ballade de Melody Nelson)
12. The Rakes – Just A Man With A Job (Le poinconneur des Lilas)
13. The Kills – I Call It Art (Le chanson de Slogan)
14. Carla Bruni – Those Little Things (Ces petits riens)


Of Note: There's a Placebo track and another track featuring Brian Molko. ("The Ballad Of Melody Nelson" was already released on the 2 disc version of "Sleeping With Ghosts" though.)
Also, of Note: Portishead's first new song in 8 years or so.
Lastly, of Note: Karen Elson is Jack White's wife. I knew she was a model, but I didn't know she could sing. She may not be able too, but this is fitting though since Serge surrounded himself with models who couldn't sing. I don't surround myself with models, because I hate pretty people. No, I'm not jealous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home